I first skilled Afghan delicacies once I moved to the D.C. area. There became an area on Route 1 in Alexandria that wasn’t fancy however the meals became great. All had been first-rate however I’ve had a gentle spot for pumpkin all my life (lengthy earlier than it have become trendy). So of the 3 dishes, I have become a fan of Kaddo.
I like to feature the lamb for a few more taste and protein boost.
For the pumpkin:
- Four cups of cubed and peeled pumpkin
- 2 tbl of olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/four cup of coconut sugar (you may use white sugar however I choose coconut sugar due to the fact its low glycemic index. Some recipes additionally name for greater sugar – plenty greater – however in case you get a very good pumpkin just like the amber cup pictured on this post, you won’t want the more calories).
For the yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup cashews soaked for an hour
- 2-three garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried mint
- half of tsp salt
- For the beef sauce:
- 1/four cup olive oil or ghee
- 1 massive onion, finely diced
- 1 pound grass-fed floor lamb (you may use floor red meat however lamb is traditional)
- 1 massive tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 massive garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/four tsp floor coriander
- 1 half of tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly floor pepper
- half of tsp floor turmeric
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Wash the outdoor of the pumpkin. Cut in half. Scrape out the stringy stuff and seeds at the inside.
- Cut halves into three″-four″ portions or so.
- Peel the pumpkin portions.
- Place pumpkin portions in a massive bowl. Drizzle with the oil after which sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Mix till all portions are coated.
- Place the pumpkin portions in a pan massive sufficient to preserve the portions in a unmarried layer. I line the pan with parchment paper to make for simpler smooth up.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for two half of hours, then baste the portions with the pan juices, cowl them up again, and bake for every other forty five minutes.
- The pumpkin portions ought to be darkish orange and translucent.
Make the yogurt sauce:
- Drain cashews and mix in a excessive velocity blender with lemon juice and a sprint of sea salt till smooth.
- Add garlic and mint, pulse to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate till equipped to serve.
Make the beef sauce:
- Brown the onions withinside the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add the beef and prepare dinner dinner over medium-excessive heat, stirring, till it’s far damaged up into small portions and the pinkness is sort of totally gone.
- Add all different ingredients (besides molasses) and prepare dinner dinner, convey to a boil.
- Lower the warmth and allow simmer, covered, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Uncover, upload molasses and allow reduced.
- Add 2 tablespoon of yogurt sauce and blend thoroughly.
Hot pumpkin, pinnacle with yogurt sauce then warm meat sauce.